Living with damaged or missing teeth can be difficult. Along with making normal daily activities uncomfortable, such as speaking and eating, a damaged smile can have a big impact on your self-esteem and how the world perceives you. With the help of dental implants, you can restore the natural appearance, comfort, and function of your smile once again. Here’s what you should know about how implants can benefit you before scheduling your free consultation at Westmoreland Dental Group.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a prosthetic replacement for a tooth’s missing root. They are made of screw-shaped titanium posts that are inserted into a person’s jaw bone to provide a permanent restoration that looks and feels like a natural tooth. There are two types:
- Endosteal: These implants are placed directly into the jaw bone. The bone and implant eventually fuse together, providing a strong foundation to support a dental crown.
- Subperiosteal: These implants are used when a person doesn’t have enough jaw bone to support an endosteal implant. The implant is placed under the gum line but above the jaw bone.
Dental implants offer a number of benefits to people with missing teeth. They are preferred over dentures or dental bridges to replace missing teeth due to their:
- Convenience: They are as easy to care for as your natural teeth.
- Permanence: They don’t need to be removed and can last decades.
- Comfort: They feel like your natural teeth.
- Natural Appearance: No one will know they aren’t your own teeth.
If you’re interested in improving the health, appearance, and function of your damaged smile, the trusted team at Westmoreland Dental Group can help. Contact us today at (423) 282-2844 to learn more about how dental implants can benefit you and to schedule your free consultation.